Fi for a 502 BB

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Jack

Re: Fi for a 502 BB

Post by Jack »

Good feedback Barry.
I have 2 sensors on my bike - one in the intake and one in passenger head. They are good for a 15* delta too from what I've read.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Hi Barry,
That last report of yours sounds awsome!

You got all that done on a trike.
How about a two-wheeler?
Did you need an more room than I have on a BB bike?
How much was everything together? Approximatly, so I know how long I have to save money...
Martin

BHRA President Europe
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Swiss V8 wrote:Hi Barry,
That last report of yours sounds awsome!

You got all that done on a trike.
How about a two-wheeler?
Did you need an more room than I have on a BB bike?
How much was everything together? Approximatly, so I know how long I have to save money...

There is probably an EFI that fits in the place of the carb BUT my Tech did research and found the Holley Sniper to be his choice...so more expenses were incurred in a new lower deck single plane intake, orienting the Sniper EFI 90 degrees so the cables pull at the front rather than the side...this was only time in my shop..

The EFI was only $1,600 Canadian...so if a person found an EFI that fit then another 10 hours or so labour and you should be up and running.

I think the more expensive Holley EFI ($3,000) might fit without the mods we did...not sure

I am sure though that a working EFI on these beasts kicks that crap out of any carb...

We have a couple guys wanting the same EFI on SB trikes...winter projects and still not sure if this EFI would fit any better on a SB...
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I have done about 1,200 plus miles and enough trips to check some mileage.

First...HOLLEY SNIPER ROCKS!! has not skipped a beat!!

Second...mileage per Canadian gallon is 20 mpg and that is very very close to what I was getting before. I know that the heads were carboned like crazy but I think it was the intown stuff.

A normal evening ride to Calgary is 20 minutes highway and 15 minutes city. I know for a fact at idle and around town it was RICH as FUCK so that is where all the carbon came from.

The end of the exhaust pipes are not thick black coated...they look like they should

Not much else to say other than if you are thinking EFI...DO IT!!!
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

About 2,000+ miles on the beast and 90 miles from home Monday it started to run like absolute crap. Almost assumed I would need to be rescued.

But I called my Tech Jason and after I explained readings etc he assumed the O2 sensor shit the bed so he walked me though programming to Closed Loop from Open Loop and it ran 80mph home like a top BUT did not like 55 or so or 20 in town.

New sensor installed today for about $110 USD and she is ALIVE!!!
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

I am keeping this thread as up to date and honest as possible.

After installing the new O2 sensor yesterday I did a trip in Calgary last night...15 minutes highway and 10 minutes city. I was a block from my destination and boom...same shitty running as happened Monday. Called Jason and he walked me through the programming to disable the closed loop ( I am understanding more about this all the time and I believe I described this wrong before) It ran good after but obviously there is a problem somewhere or did I get a faulty O2 sensor?? Not sure.

Jason will trouble shoot next week and call Holley...
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

John got a chance to check the computer readings today. Then installed a new O2 sensor and there is something definitely amuck here.

We may have a wire shorted out somewhere with the EFI...the EFI computer itself may be fubarred...a couple of other options as well.

Being the day before our July 1st Canada Day and Canada's 150th Birthday celebrations, other customers booked in came before me which is ok as I have the 2009 Yellow 57 as an awesome spare.

We will trouble shoot next week with a call to Holley too.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Calls to Holley this week to trouble shoot.

A new O2 sensor is on its way from Holley gratis. They have a special sensor.

I may have a battery getting week and that may be taking them out as the voltage is 11.5 before starting.

Coincidence that I now have an O2 sensor code on the yellow 2009 SB I am riding..hmmmm??
CanuckHoss

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Barry, does this mean they might have different sensors calibrated for varying installation distances behind the collector?
My Terminator has been fine other that once and a while I found during some testing, if its been sitting (engine warmed up) and only idling, for 10-15 minutes, suddenly the idle jumps from 890 to 1150 or higher. No other inputs have changed when that happens. Voltage on the Dakota is 14.1 -14.2. I need to call them too.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Imzz4 wrote:Barry, does this mean they might have different sensors calibrated for varying installation distances behind the collector?
My Terminator has been fine other that once and a while I found during some testing, if its been sitting (engine warmed up) and only idling, for 10-15 minutes, suddenly the idle jumps from 890 to 1150 or higher. No other inputs have changed when that happens. Voltage on the Dakota is 14.1 -14.2. I need to call them too.
I am not the one who chatted with Holley but I understood it was specially built for the Holley Sniper...other substitutes amy not work. we will see I guess as the trouble shooting goes further.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Tried the new O2 sensor from Holley today and it did not change the EFI being fubarred. So looks like the whole EFI has to come off and be sent to Holley to trouble shoot...shit load of work, shipping expense and downtime...oh well

Good thing for spare trikes except yesterday this EFI'd 2009 SB trike started acting up...would stall at lights...start and die...and die when put into gear...loaded the fucker up with Seafoam and Gas line antifreeze hoping it was bad gas as this happened the day after I had filled with fuel...coincidence?? I will know soon.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The guys put new plugs in today...set the EFI to run without then O2 and sent me for a quick trip before closing...15 miles..all was ...and the ope
rative is "was".

Gwen and I went to Calgary and 2 blocks from our destination it sputtered 3 times and died and there was a squeling sound coming from where the Holley fuel pump sits under the body..and it would not start..no fuel.....HOLY CRAP...now the fuel pump shit the bed??

I was supposed to load and leave in the morning for our small V8 Rally 8 hours away had it worked 100%...now I will take tomorrow and make sure the yellow one is 100% before I leave Monday for Kelowna and the Rally.
CanuckHoss

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

Sorry to hear that after all the work and time put into it. You'll get it fixed though !
Knock on wood, I think my fuel and FI issues are behind me ,,,,,,,,finally. Last several rides were good enough to where I might start trusting it again.
Yours is coming.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Imzz4 wrote:Sorry to hear that after all the work and time put into it. You'll get it fixed though !
Knock on wood, I think my fuel and FI issues are behind me ,,,,,,,,finally. Last several rides were good enough to where I might start trusting it again.
Yours is coming.

Thanks...it is just time..not a lot of money anymore.

AND I am blessed that I have the 2009 57 as a spare to ride.

I dont fret about much anymore either....when we rolled to a stop last night when it quit I got off...smiled and said to Gwen...we need a rescue so lets grab a coffee right across the street...we sat and people watched..LIFE IS GOOD!
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

After Jason my tech chatted with Holley today the concensus is to run the trike for a bit with the O2 sensor in and working to set the computer history.

THEN rip off the whole system including the fuel pump and send it to them

Stay tuned I guess.
CanuckHoss

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I tried to copy my global program onto the micro sd card in the handheld. I sent the file to Holly as Travis ask, but they couldn't get it to open. The next plan was to call and have their tech guy walk me thru the program loading. I never did . But they were ready to look at all that data and pinpoint what was going on .
I should probably do that even though it seems fine. They'll figure yours out.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Imzz4 wrote:I tried to copy my global program onto the micro sd card in the handheld. I sent the file to Holly as Travis ask, but they couldn't get it to open. The next plan was to call and have their tech guy walk me thru the program loading. I never did . But they were ready to look at all that data and pinpoint what was going on .
I should probably do that even though it seems fine. They'll figure yours out.

They will...it is only time and some money for shipping..I have both..lol

When it is running again it will ROCK like it did before and hopefully rock for a long time

Thanks
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

The whole system came off Thursday and is off to Holley..4 days shipping there...

My best guess is I will be down fro another 2 weeks at least. Fingers crossed.

We are very very anxious to hear what Holley finds.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

My EFI is on it's way back to us...needed a new brain in the throttle body. We never got to speak to our contact that JAson knows so that is all we knows.

They also said they tested the fuel pump that stranded me the last day I rode it so will install and do an hour ride...see where that takes me but I am pretty sure it is fubarred.
CanuckHoss

Jack

Post by Jack »

My PWM fuel pump is controlled by the brain, if yours is the same, the problem may be solved. If it is just key on power, then it's unrelated and you may need pump.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Jack wrote:My PWM fuel pump is controlled by the brain, if yours is the same, the problem may be solved. If it is just key on power, then it's unrelated and you may need pump.

Fingers crossed. The last ride on the trike it stalled after 25 minutes and there was a squealing sound from under the seat where the pump sits. When Josh rescued me 45 minutes later the trike started ok....no squeal...fuel pump had cooled maybe??? time will tell.
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Well.....Jason got the trike up and running today.

I took a 30 minute ride before closing to test and it ran great...no fuel pump issue...he had it runniong for 30 minutes to set up and test also..but no driving.

Took another ride tonight for 40 minutes and again no fuel pump issue...ran like a clock!!

Jason said that the EFI / ECU module controls the fuel pump and when it quit on Gwen and I in Calgary a few weeks ago and I thought it was the fuel pump it could have been the ECU just fucked enough that it did not know how to control the pump anymore...seems like that was the case.

It is awesome to have Ol' Blue and the 502's roaring again...
CanuckHoss

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Wow Barry
this was a long road to get it working.
Glad to see it might be all behind you, now you can start enjoying it. Yahoo
Norm
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Thanks Norm..was a long road indeed...we should be good from here on in.
CanuckHoss

Jack

Post by Jack »

Awesome! Glad they hooked you up with the solution and it seems like you should have miles of EFI ahead of you.