BH trans rumors

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Ric

Re: BH trans rumors

Post by Ric »

John…. maybe the other stuff… but a 'Derelict'??? :D

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Ric wrote:John…. maybe the other stuff… but a 'Derelict'??? :D
I actually had to address those comments in my blog.
The name of the post is, "I Know You Are, But What Am I?".
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
Ric

Post by Ric »

Interesting series of 'splainin' John. From all musings and writings one cannot dispute much after digesting your blog entitled "I know you are, but what am I?"

As for the target mark of the bell curve you speak of… I suspect that I'd fall short. You know the ol' "Aim for the curb, and you'll surely hit it!" That would be me.

Oh, and I almost forgot. As for MY intellect; I still suffer at mathematics, requiring much toil. I do not know my times tables. I suffer at the hands of a mediocre command of the English language, as it's written and spoken in North America. (I make many spelling, grammatical and not-so-witty witticisms, over use of ellipsis errors … , et al. See?… However, in reference to a life of a derelict… I, in fact, owned a shopping cart. To which my friend and I committed the employment of one hack saw to ditch the basket part of it. With Dad's assistance, we managed to braze a handle on the back at the correct height, bolted a square of plywood for a make-shift seat, and pretty much had one of the coolest local down hill crash buggys! I was 12 at the time; which also was the first anniversary of my first beer. Bitter as hell, but it set the stage.

Thusly, in conformance with the Bell curve mismatch, I shall keep the 'stick poking' at a minimum. :poke:

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

This first new tranny in this thread was a surprise to most but guess what?? I have seen proof of a 2nd ground up build / design...unfortunately that is all I can say for now...dang..
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

While my tranny is doing well, it is nice to know there will be better ( hopefully ) options when the time comes
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

petitemoose wrote:While my tranny is doing well, it is nice to know there will be better ( hopefully ) options when the time comes
Ya , but can the average Boss Hoss owner afford the new design . No doubt having our present tranny rebuilt with all the latest upgrades would be cheaper than a whole new tranny and then what do we do with our original tranny . Sell it , maybe if you could find someone who would buy it .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

From what I've seen the new tranny that Winters is working on will possibly be only slightly better than a properly rebuilt Nesco. The design is the weak spot not so much the materials. They will always be weak in overdrive with the current design. As more horsepower and especially torque is available with the big power engines the tranny will still be the weak link. Maybe the other new tranny that Barry knows of will have a different design and be up to the task. If not we'll just have to accept the drawbacks of our Nesco's. Many of us have never had any trouble and I consider myself lucky to be in that group so far.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I haven't had any issues with either of mine but I always drive with common sense and don't abuse it. Of course just saying that I haven't had any problems yet was the kiss of death for next riding season.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I've been prepared tool and equipment wise to pull my tranny for the past 14 years but it just keeps ticking . My only wish is if and when it shits the bed it will be at the end of riding season so I have the winter months to get er done .
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I was told by a fellow (Bill Alexander) all about the Nesco trans and its design shortcomings. Bill was a friend of Monte's and one of the very first BH dealers. Bill had one of the first 502 bikes and instantly broke the tranny. He was a pioneer with the Ranger conversion. Anyway he told me that if you kept the fluid clean and kept the temps down and didn't fuck around in overdrive the trans would be fine. He said the 502 has an abundance of TORQUE and thats what will tear up the trans easily in second but not first gear. A small block will also but not nearly as easy. The original single speed BH trans was fine according to Bill as far as reliability went but customers wanted the second gear for cruising. I just ride my BH primarily on long rides so its pretty easy on everything, mile after mile on the interstate just cruising along. Jack has made it fourteen years, that should be proof that they can and do work with a little luck and good maintenance and a sane rider. Some of the riders even with torturing the tranny and a 502 as input power have somehow managed to avoid blowing the trans. On the other hand some swear they ride easy and yet they've went thru more than one tranny. In any event even if someone makes a new aftermarket tranny that fits our current bikes it will only be a real plus if it doesn't cost to much and is as reliable as a turbo 350 or 400 or 700R car trans, anything less is just something that still needs improvement.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:I was told by a fellow (Bill Alexander) all about the Nesco trans and its design shortcomings. Bill was a friend of Monte's and one of the very first BH dealers. Bill had one of the first 502 bikes and instantly broke the tranny. He was a pioneer with the Ranger conversion. Anyway he told me that if you kept the fluid clean and kept the temps down and didn't fuck around in overdrive the trans would be fine. He said the 502 has an abundance of TORQUE and thats what will tear up the trans easily in second but not first gear. A small block will also but not nearly as easy. The original single speed BH trans was fine according to Bill as far as reliability went but customers wanted the second gear for cruising. I just ride my BH primarily on long rides so its pretty easy on everything, mile after mile on the interstate just cruising along. Jack has made it fourteen years, that should be proof that they can and do work with a little luck and good maintenance and a sane rider. Some of the riders even with torturing the tranny and a 502 as input power have somehow managed to avoid blowing the trans. On the other hand some swear they ride easy and yet they've went thru more than one tranny. In any event even if someone makes a new aftermarket tranny that fits our current bikes it will only be a real plus if it doesn't cost to much and is as reliable as a turbo 350 or 400 or 700R car trans, anything less is just something that still needs improvement.
Dave,

Getting wise in your old age...Bryan Wards was rebuilt and now has 8 summers I believe and a lot of easy "Bryan Ward" miles...lol..miles and miles of burnouts literally.

The tranny I am talking about is a ground up build...no copy
CanuckHoss

SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Bryan Ward is ONE of the LUCKY ones, there are quite a few actually including me. On the other hand there are guys who have had the complete opposite results, some have lunched 3 of them! If the guy you know has the correct design in the same space it will be a miracle. I hope someone pulls it off but if Winters has been woking on it for ten years and its no more than a PREMIUM GRADE nesco there is probably a reason. I was told that to make the proper design would require a longer trans which BH and most riders don't want. Is that true or not only time will tell.

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

SQ4MN wrote:Bryan Ward is ONE of the LUCKY ones, there are quite a few actually including me. On the other hand there are guys who have had the complete opposite results, some have lunched 3 of them! If the guy you know has the correct design in the same space it will be a miracle. I hope someone pulls it off but if Winters has been woking on it for ten years and its no more than a PREMIUM GRADE nesco there is probably a reason. I was told that to make the proper design would require a longer trans which BH and most riders don't want. Is that true or not only time will tell.
Bryan is one of a few individuals I know...not dealers...who is not scared to get inside the tranny...good on him. Hopefully he does not vacate the country before he can help our techs thru a tranny teardown.

Not sure how many know but Bryan was the first person I ever sold a Boss Hoss to...#1...
CanuckHoss

Ric

Post by Ric »

A-A-AND…. Bryan's bike was at an Edmonton Bike show in a display… It alerted me that a V8 bike actually existed… an old dream from 30 years previous… and what shocked seven shades of shite out of me was the dealer was only about 4 hours drive from where I lived! :canada: