So What Is The Best Modification You have Done To Your Bike,

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

So What Is The Best Modification You have Done To Your Bike,

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Time for tech talk. What is the best modification you have done for your bike or trike? what you would not do? or what have you done and then after evaluation removed from your bike?
Me. i have done a fair amount of mods to my bike, not as much as some but a few more than others.

1. rev limiter module in distributor, while i like the concept, i went back to stock module

2. brass terminal distributor cap, only way to go.

3. MSD coil, it's been in, but i think i will go back to stock.

4. car tire wheel, will never go back to motorcycle tire

5. suicide shifter, due to incorrect positioning removed it, will attempt to refabricate and reinstall if i can get placement where i like it, will take complete refab other than the frame mount.

6. Derale heat sink cooler for trans, as a second trans cooler. like it and it will stay

7. B&M supercooler, almost double stock cooler size, it will stay

8. after market fat plug wires BHC, as they are just a good wire with exterior cover, removed and went with MSD 8.5 wires

10. 400 lb springs on Aldan shocks and rebuilt shocks by aldan, one of the best investments i have made on the bike as cornering improved greatly and bike stance is better, no bottoming out yet.

11. Barry's body panel bolts, well worth the coin, stops damage of the fasteners during body panel reinstall

12. Carby Mikes list of mods to carb, although i did the mods and wonder how much different it would be if he performed his magic on it.

13. Tom C & Adrian trans rebuild with 08 upgrades and extra output shaft bearing (R&D ongoing as it is first one), great would do it again.

14. Wag's site instructions of how to modify water temp gauge to be dual activity to show trans temp also, great addition for peace of mind, would recommend.

15. Marv's radiator catch can, like it and would recommend.

16. Odessey 925 MJT battery, well worth it, bike came with 625mjt

17. replacement Jabsco water pump, larger than stock,, like it.

18. Holley red fuel pump, like it

there are some of mine, now what do ya'll got or have you tried or thoughts

Darryl
Last edited by gaston 2005 502 on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl Campbell
Steve Taylor

Re: So What Is The Best Modification You have Done To Your Bike,

Post by Steve Taylor »

A 300 Avon Cobra rear and 6 piston calipers all round.
EastTnMike

Post by EastTnMike »

HID headlight. There's no comparasion in safety, sight, and it just looks cool too!
Mike
KISS

Post by KISS »

Stack ST 700 Race "all in one" gage! HUGE red warning triangle for too hot engine,low oil pres + 1/4mile timer etc. 8-)

http://www.v8bikers.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=450
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

I did a lot of mods to the bike like a 330 tire, stretch tank, etc, and would do all that again, but all of them are the kind of ones personal taste.

When it comes to the question what mod I enjoy most for the cheapest price and what I would recommend for every Boss Hoss rider then I immediatly know ONE item.

It's only $7 and I enjoy it everytime I take the bike off the kickstand. It makes the bike feel like it's only 500 pounds instead of 1000 and takes so much load from the kickstand, what's makes the kickstand last so much longer. An angle plate for $7. Install it the opposide what it's build for and your bike stands 10 degrees more upright...one hell of a difference for the price of two beer. Everybody who took my Boss from the kickstand felt the difference and bought this cheap plate. I installed it on my 99 bike and on my 07...

Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-l ... ccessories

Olaf
KISS

Post by KISS »

Here it is:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harley-l ... ccessories

Thanks Olaf! I ordered one to my Blower Bike! :o It will be useful w my 275 rear tire!
AR

Post by AR »

i reckon the best accessory/modification is the one that is currently underway...I get so pumped it doesnt matter what it is. Currently fitting the concepts radiator shroud and the forseeable to do list, probably in this order;
1. red radiator grill
2. drag bars
3. 300 car tyre
4. red coat valve covers/wheels
5. red flames
6. blower job
thats the plan anyway. probably 12k and 2 years worth, by then i'll have a new list :)
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

My list goes like this on a 2003 SB

Arnott air ride, bike rode shitty with stock shocks, now rides great and a little toggle switch adjusts adjusts the pressure to always keep a great ride no matter how the bike is loaded.

Carb Mikes stage two rebuild and modifications made a huge difference that you could easily feel.

California Boss Hoss transmission cooling kit with the extra 4 quart capacity tank and anoyher cooler works great. Average temp of 150 degrees even in 110 outside temperatures.

Remove stock fuel pump off of bell housing and mount a Holley Red behind side cover. Stopped having vapor lock problems after this even in Las Vegas summers.

Installed an off road headlight sealed beam unit that is supposedly illegal for on hiway use! It is better than stock but not as good as HID.

Installed a manual throttle lock that is mainly good for warming up bike.

Just now ordered the kickstand angle plate Olaf mentions in his post. Thanks Olaf for this little goodie and only a few dollars.

I also got the body panel nuts from Barry that replace the shitty stock ones on a 2003. A chrome Catch Can from Marv, and a 925 Odessey battery to replace a smaller stock one.

Dave/Squirm

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

Ranger 2 speed manual transmission. I'll never go back to a Nesco and I no longer need BH for any reason.
The angle plate for the kickstand is a good idea until you have a flat. You'll go to the garage some morning and find your 1100+ lb bike lying on it's right side. Not that likely to happen, but worth considering
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

Carl, are you sure about that? Dave

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
AR

Post by AR »

no experience with it myself but the V8biker urban legend is that if you get a rear flat with the Avon they fall over anyway regardless of Olafs wedge. Someone once showed me a little 'leg' he made up to stick under the frame for peace of mind when he took his eyes off his bike haha. I dont think its a high enuff percentage problem to worry about.

My query to Olaf would be more along the lines of why he needs help straightening up a girls bike? :D
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

PIrate Rob wrote:
My query to Olaf would be more along the lines of why he needs help straightening up a girls bike? :D

He He He
Darryl Campbell
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

PIrate Rob wrote:no experience with it myself but the V8biker urban legend is that if you get a rear flat with the Avon they fall over anyway regardless of Olafs wedge. Someone once showed me a little 'leg' he made up to stick under the frame for peace of mind when he took his eyes off his bike haha. I dont think its a high enuff percentage problem to worry about.

Rob,
where can I buy this little leg you were talking about?? Sounds interesting!!!
Teh he he he he...

Oh I found it at the same place where they sell my angle plate!!!
www.usefulthingsforv8pussys.com

Olaf the SS (Super Small) pussy bike rider :D :D :D
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

PIrate Rob wrote:no experience with it myself but the V8biker urban legend is that if you get a rear flat with the Avon they fall over anyway regardless of Olafs wedge. Someone once showed me a little 'leg' he made up to stick under the frame for peace of mind when he took his eyes off his bike haha. I dont think its a high enuff percentage problem to worry about.

I made what I'll call a "Bike Crutch" that I use under the right side of my bike frame whenever it has to be outside with my cover on it like at a rally . Back a few years ago at Daytona bike week before I made the "Bike Crutch" 60-70 MPH winds lifted my covered Boss off it's kickstand and dumped it on it's right side in the parking lot . The more vertical your bike sets on the kickstand the more susceptible it is ti tipping over .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:

I made what I'll call a "Bike Crutch" that I use under the right side of my bike frame whenever it has to be outside with my cover on it like at a rally . Back a few years ago at Daytona bike week before I made the "Bike Crutch" 60-70 MPH winds lifted my covered Boss off it's kickstand and dumped it on it's right side in the parking lot . The more vertical your bike sets on the kickstand the more susceptible it is ti tipping over .

Jack
I knew you were the other pussy....hahahaha

Just a joke, just a joke (.)<

Olaf :lol:
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Pussy ?? No , I'm far from a pussy but I felt like an asshole when I saw my bike laying on it's side with the cover half ripped off , all the oil from my tranny leaked out of the breather tube in a puddle about 6' in dia , gas leaking out of my vent tube mixed with the oil to say nothing about the damage it did to my bike and the door of a brand new Chevy Suburban that it fell against on the way down .It was a fucking nightmare . This will never happen again if I can help it .

Jack
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

hogv8 wrote:

Jack
Bill Van Sant geave me a bike crutch once. It safed my but when my kickstand broke, I made it shorter and had a temporarily sidestand. :mrgreen:

And I put it under the right side on meetings, where people walk around the bikes.
Martin

BHRA President Europe
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:Pussy ?? No , I'm far from a pussy but I felt like an asshole when I saw my bike laying on it's side with the cover half ripped off , all the oil from my tranny leaked out of the breather tube in a puddle about 6' in dia , gas leaking out of my vent tube mixed with the oil to say nothing about the damage it did to my bike and the door of a brand new Chevy Suburban that it fell against on the way down .It was a fucking nightmare . This will never happen again if I can help it .

Jack
Jack, I sure know that you are no pussy....hahaha....just tried to get you...hehehe...

I can imagine how you felt, but what a fortune that no bikes stood beside you and all tipped over, like in the movies. I saw my bike laying on it's side two times, and know that this makes you feel very bad.

I think those kind of strong winds which are able to let your Boss Hoss tip over are more of a problem in the american great plains and in the southern US States. We never or seldom see such strong winds over here. Over here loose ground, like gravel or mud is more of a problem which can your bike let tip over if the kickstand sinks in the mud.

Happy new year 2010, bro! It's only 5 more hours for us here. I got to prepare for a big party tonight and have to log out now.

See ya all in 2010!

Olaf
Last edited by KrautV8 on Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
SQ4MN

Post by SQ4MN »

I think I better not install the angle plate. I definitely don't want to deal with a tipped over bike. Dave

ImageLas Vegas, Nevada
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I have also heard of bikes with air suspension leaking down and falling over in the garage. probably a good idea for any of us to use the crutch when storing the bikes. Here is the crutch or something similar to what Bill Van Sant uses http://www.aerostich.com/bike-krutch.html

Shane
Puff

Post by Puff »

Jep, I have that "Bike Krutch" from aerostich.
Thanks for posting that pic, Shane.
It comes in handy when you wanna make sure
your bike doesn't fall over. You just use it
on the right side. This way your bike can't
get accidentally knocked over.
If you store your bike for the winter using the
"Krutch", and your rear tire goes flat, then your
bike can't fall over. Dented tanks can't be fun!
Martin(Swiss V 8) has one, and it saved his
bike once when his kickstand broke.
I always carry the Krutch with me. I believe
it is a good safety measure for us all to have.

Puff
Bill Van Sant

KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Bill,

I remember me seeing Martin put it under his bike frame at the Rally 2007 and how strange it looked at first. I didn't knew why he did that and asked him. Then he explained it to me and all made sense. Yes, it's a good safety measure, and now that Jack said his bike tipped over because of strong winds and others because of a flat tire - I like it even more.

Olaf
Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

The only downside with this crutch is, that it is just long enough for my bike. If it was one or two inches longer I'd feel much more comfortable...
Martin

BHRA President Europe
Carl La Fong
$ite $upporter

Post by Carl La Fong »

If it was one or two inches longer I'd feel much more comfortable...

Yeah, wouldn't we all ;)
Visit My Blog-Carl La Fong, Boy Genius™
http://jkcallin.blogspot.com/
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Swiss V8 wrote:The only downside with this crutch is, that it is just long enough for my bike. If it was one or two inches longer I'd feel much more comfortable...
Very simple , just replace the all thread rod with a longer length . Should be able to buy the same all thread rod at any hardware store .

Jack