Fuel evaporation problems??

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Steve Taylor

Fuel evaporation problems??

Post by Steve Taylor »

Please can anyone help, my 302 Kannon keeps cutting out when it warms up. It's fine on cold days, but if you get stuck in traffic or take it out on warm days, once it reaches 175 degrees, it cuts out. If you use the accelerator pump it will fire then stop again.
If it is left to cool, it will start again.
Is 175 too hot?
It had a metal fuel pipe which sat on the manifold, so I have changed it to a rubber one to see if that helps.
Any help appreciated.
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Re: Fuel evaporation problems??

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Steve,

rubber or metal, the fuel lines should not be on the manifold. i as well as many secure with zip ties to the frame rails.
Fuel pump,

fuel pump can do some strange things when it goes out. i do not know shiiiite about Kannons but if it has a electric fuel pump, i would take off the hose going to carb and put a longer hose going to a bucket and test your fuel pump flow.
when mine went bad the first time (stock pump) it would run well until i would go to whack it, and then it would stumble, replaced it with a holley red and it cured the problems.
second time, recently after i got my carby mike surgery performed to my carb, i had it running and it stumbled twice, and i replaced the pump as there was NO problems with the carb, with another holley red and all is fine now.

in my opinion 175 is not too hot. hot south texas days get like, broil, say 105 f. and all the humidity you could want, and then some,,, and the bike gets 175 - 180 running highway then when in town red light to red light 190 -195

i hope this helps.

Darryl
Last edited by gaston 2005 502 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darryl Campbell
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Thanks for your advice, the fuel seems to pump out ok, will try it with the new rubber hose (tied to the frame)
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Good to know it's not overheating too.
KISS

Post by KISS »

Steve, this is the best what i found. Works well on my SB Chevette. Under the hood is very little space and VERY hot!

http://www.thermotec.com/products/18000 ... eeves.html
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Tried it today, weather was cooler, but got it up to 180 degrees without cutting out :shock:
Hope it's cured, thanks for all your advice :)
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Still got a problem, with the fuel pipe moved it will go up to 205 then cut out until it cools down. Only a problem when riding slow. It cut out twice in Germany. I have read about insulator plates to fit between the carb and manifold, would it be worth trying one?
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Steve,
yes, I would try one of these phenolic carb spacers if you have enough room between your air cleaner and the fuel tank. I would buy a little thicker one than you really need, then I would mill it down to a height which fits just perfect.

I don't know what carb base gasket you are using - maybe a 1/4" thick gasket like most of us Boss Hoss riders run would even do the job fine.

Olaf
Last edited by KrautV8 on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Taylor

Post by Steve Taylor »

Thanks Olaf.