Hoss Handlebar Grips, Throttle & Such,,,,

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Hoss Handlebar Grips, Throttle & Such,,,,

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

2005 Boss Hoss,,,Three or four months ago my original grips went south, throttle cable securement disintegrated. i bought kuryakyn at a local source and had to modify to fit inside of my controls (throttle only). worked fine unti today, my final ride before going back to work for 46 days. made it home slowly,,, then pulled the control apart and again the area that secures th throttle cable broke.
Anyone have any usable advise on grips that work?
would prefer they Kuryakyn style i have,, but also want something that will last longer than 3-4 months.
will be calling Curtis at Texas Boss Hoss also for his input.
Comments are welccome.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Buck
$ite $upporter

Re: Hoss Handlebar Grips, Throttle & Such,,,,

Post by Buck »

I have had the Kuryakyn Iso grips on for almost 4 years now and have not experienced the breakage that you have. Did you cut off the correct throttle wire end barrel retainer? Is the cable adjusted too tightly ( I have about 1/4" play in mine)? Is the throttle return spring too sturdy thusly creating too much resistance on the cable retainer? Did you lube the cable, if not pull it out and get some graphite. That's about all I can come up with.
Buck
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Post by SRF »

I use harley grips, don't know if they are better than the ISO grips but work for me. Seems several have had trouble with ISO grips if I remember right.

Shane
Tom

Post by Tom »

The Kuryakyn grips I believe are plastic?? Mike... I have a couple sets of stock BH grips.. Calll me and I`ll send em your way.
209-321-3336
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Tom wrote:The Kuryakyn grips I believe are plastic?? Mike... I have a couple sets of stock Boss Hoss grips.. Calll me and I`ll send em your way.
209-321-3336
Tom,

i am in transit to work now in korea sitting at airport in tokyo. once i get settled in i will give you a call. thanks.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

I bought a single cable throttle sleeve and slid on ISO grips . These single cable sleeves can be bought just about anywhere . The grips should have nothing to do with how well the throttle sleeve works . Another thing I'm going to change soon is n my throttle cable housing with the elbow/bend in it . They make a universal throttle cable housing with no elbow which would create a lot less friction than the ones with the elbow/bend and would probably make the cable itself last a lot longer without breaking .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

gaston 2005 502 wrote:2005 Boss Hoss,,,Three or four months ago my original grips went south, throttle cable securement disintegrated. i bought kuryakyn at a local source and had to modify to fit inside of my controls (throttle only). worked fine unti today, my final ride before going back to work for 46 days. made it home slowly,,, then pulled the control apart and again the area that secures th throttle cable broke.
Anyone have any usable advise on grips that work?
would prefer they Kuryakyn style i have,, but also want something that will last longer than 3-4 months.
will be calling Curtis at Texas Boss Hoss also for his input.
Comments are welccome.

Darryl
Darryl,

like Buck, I too use the kuryakyn iso grips without any problems. I installed them at my 99 single speed Boss (sold the bike in 06, but they are still installed from what I can see in the pics the new owner sent me) and I installed them at my 07 SS, no breakage until today. The iso grips are chromed aluminum with rubber inserts. The part where the throttle cable secures is plastic, but seem to last if the quality is ok, you might have had a bad set..?...

Olaf
Ric

Post by Ric »

I went through four sets of the Iso grips. Lubed cable, stock throttle return spring on the 750 Demon carb. Lubed barrel to handle bar, etc. For now, I have a stock Harley grip, and it's lasted a year now. Usually about 6 months between failures of the Iso grips.

The plastic built up ring that holds the ferrule on the throttle cable usually broke away, and jammed up in the throttle cable groove. And the last one had a linear split in the throttle barrel that still allowed me to twist the throttle, but the split portion would 'lift up and jam the throttle twisting action so that I could only do about 60 MPH.

Added the Harley unit... no probs since then.

I'm thinking on switching to the 'old school nostalgia Harley grips'... My buddy has them on his Harley, and they feel pretty good.... so long as the 'throttle boss' will fit on it.

"Keep the magic alive!" He said.

Lloydminster, Saskatchewan, Canada