Front wheel stem

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Butterfly

Front wheel stem

Post by Butterfly »

Okay Eagle and son are working on the front wheel valve stem. got the bead broke and got the old one off...of course it's not the normal valve stem. It is smaller and has a rubber seal/washer on the outside and one on the inside and is held on with two nuts...heres the question....does it take a special rubber seal/washer or will any good fitting same size and the same thickness and close to the same shape work?
Butterfly
Butterfly

Re: Front wheel stem

Post by Butterfly »

Thanks..it's the inside rubber washer (looks like one for a water fauset) that deterorated the outside one is good....just the rubber washer broke down...and the rim role is too small for the normal size stem shaft... everthing else is good with it. Damn rubber washer!!! The rubber washers tighten up againist the rim to prevent leakage...no other purpose...
Butterfly
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Buttterfly,

any good wheel shop or auto supply should have a new metal valave stems for replacement. In my past experience (with mag wheels on cars) when the rubber grommet wears out it is best to replace the whole valve stem so you get a correct fitment onto the valve stem instead of replacing just the grommet. probably 2 -5 dollars each, but important as you do not want to have any flat tire issues running down the road. If it's not available saturday evening,,, i would wait till i can get the correct replacement.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
Butterfly

Post by Butterfly »

gaston 2005 502 wrote:Buttterfly,

any good wheel shop or auto supply should have a new metal valave stems for replacement. In my past experience (with mag wheels on cars) when the rubber grommet wears out it is best to replace the whole valve stem so you get a correct fitment onto the valve stem instead of replacing just the grommet. probably 2 -5 dollars each, but important as you do not want to have any flat tire issues running down the road. If it's not available saturday evening,,, i would wait till i can get the correct replacement.

Darryl

Thanks...
We have those. Value stems with rubber washers...but the hole in the rim is smaller...It is a 3 peice rim from Chopper City....that is what we want to do, replace the whole thing..stem and all. Just another damn modifacation! We thought about drilling the rim hole out so the "normal" size one would fit??? We have decided to wait and call Chopper City on Monday and get 2 stems and rubber washers so at least give us credit for useing our brains! :shock: :D Thanks for the input..y'all!!!! Let you know how it goes!
Butterfly