No more squealing!!!

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

No more squealing!!!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Whoo Hooo!! We just replaced my brake pads with a "platinum" version and so far no more squealing !!! I will give an update after I put a few miles on the iron maiden. :burnout:

petitemoose

Re: No more squealing!!!

Post by petitemoose »

It is always a good thing when you can eliminate little irritants :)
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

petitemoose wrote:It is always a good thing when you can eliminate little irritants :)
Yup, and we will be replacing the alternator belt next - just waiting on some gaskets from V8coppers :thumbup:

Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:banghead: :frustrated: :banghead: :frustrated:
Brakes are squealing just after a few miles!!!! And to top it off the alt or water pump is squealing AGAIN and we just replaced both belts- why????????(that was said in my best whiney voice possible)

Mark

Post by Mark »

The brake squealing usually occurs when the brake piston is rubbing against the back of the brake pad (metal against metal). Common solution is to apply a bit of copperpaste on the back of the metalplate = back of brake pad.

Mark
petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Correct. That paste is inexpensive and available at any Auto Parts Store.

As for the Squealing belts .. 1 of 3 possibilities since the belts are new
1. Too Loose
2. Water dripping on the pulleys from the water pump
3. One of the driven items ( Water Pump or Alternator ) is not moving freely and is "Stalling" causing the belt to slip creating the noise. Letting it go too long will ruin the Belt. Remove the Belts one at a time and fire it up to identifiy which is the issue. I would suspect the water pump Because you normally hear the bad bearings in the Alternator growling
Who says building a border wall won't work?!? The Chinese built one over 2000 years ago and they STILL don't have any Mexicans ...
Ponch

Post by Ponch »

Did you get the squealing to stop?

Hows the water pump?
see ya bye
Ponch

Image...............................................Image
..Ft Myers, FL. 33905..............................................Springfield, IL. 62712
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Ponch wrote:Did you get the squealing to stop?

Hows the water pump?
:dunno: We removed the brake pads (again) cleaned and sprayed with "red stuff" (again) (couldn't find copper stuff). Pumped brakes a few times and letting it sit over night. As for the belt squeal we noticed the nut on adjustment rod was loose so we adjusted the alt belt (again) and "locked" it down. Today will be the test ride - stay tuned....... :ridding:

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

AND ...
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

I don't want to talk about it :banghead:

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

Try some of this. It worked for me. Got the idea from Mike the strip.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP ... UTF8&psc=1

Got rid of 95% of the noise. And I am talking back brakes on the trike!! And I also upgraded the pads like you did. Front and rear.
Remove the pads again and cut a peace to fit, I did drill two holes for the pins. glue it on and hopefully it will work for you.
Good luck
Norm
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

I have an idea. A proses of elimination

I know you cannot remove the top belt completely. But remove it and keep it out of the way. then start it.
If noise goes away it is in the alternator.
If not, is is the water pump
Good luck
Norm
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Dr. Thompson was able to determine the culprit with a stethoscope, it is the water pump making the noise. Looks like we will be taking it apart (again) :evil: Does anyone know if these can be rebuilt?
Attachments
Dr Thompson.JPG

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Glad you found it! At least you have a plan of attack now
V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

SO............................ what has happened?

Where you able to get the water pump rebuilt? and by who?? :popcorn:
Norm
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Sorry for the delay.......
At this time we are waiting for a water pump from V8 Choppers. Rhonda and Stan "hooked" us up and swapped out the old water pump. The new one is arriving today or tomorrow. We should be able to install it over the weekend, if the weather holds out I will be able to give you a ride report. Fingers crossed.
:tequila:

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Hi Sue,

Would be great to take pics of the install for us wannabe wrenches, just in case we go squealing too.

Good luck with it.
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

:wft: all ready to put the trike back together and the tube of gasket sealer I just bought today was no good :evil: here are a few pics anyway .....
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

GordonBH

Post by GordonBH »

Thanks for the pics, always interested in seeing how things come apart and go back together. I've had that with sealant, you know when you first squeeze the tube and it doesn't yield - damnit. Some stuff just sits too long on the shelf or there's a pinprick fault in the tube. I once got a tube of superglue that was totally empty - must of missed the filler nozzle!

You get an A* grade for garage cleanliness!

:D :england:
Gordon from England
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

OK, refill your popcorn!! :popcorn:

:banghead: Once again our plans to get my trike back together have been dashed!!

We installed the pump only to realize the water pump belt was really loose. There was not enough adjustment in the pump to make up the slack.

After scratching our heads, the only reason we can come up with is that this new pump has a smaller pulley, since this belt fit fine on the other water pump. Of course it is Saturday and we can't get an answer till Monday. So off comes the pump - again.

After removing the pump, we noticed that the water pump opening is 7/8" but the engine opening is 1". We are assuming that this to allow for some adjustment of the water pump.

I do have a question; shouldn't the gasket hole be 1" to match the engine port? As you can see from the picture of the gasket there is an indent to show how much smaller it is than the engine port. This means all that water is constantly keeping that paper gasket wet. I would assume over time it would deteriorate and fall apart - right??? Do we need a gasket, or just use "form a gasket?

Not sure if this matters but I do have a 450 engine not a 427 so maybe this is adding to some of the issues, come Monday I will have some answers but until then please feel free to comment and enjoy the popcorn???
Attachments
IMG_7951.JPG

petitemoose

Post by petitemoose »

Cut the gasket to match the block. You probably do have a smaller pulley to turn the impeller faster to increase water flow and reduce drag for a minuscule increase in hp.
Are the ports in the earlier, noisy water pump the same as the replacement. Just a matter of curiosity ... not a big deal.
Take a piece of 1/4" rope and run it around the two pulleys. When they meet cut it to length at the joint. Measure that length of rope and remember the number I am calling it XX. Take your old belt down to Auto Zone and tell them you need an
XL series V-Belt XX" long. I would guess that you will be really close to 31" long

Install the new pump and have a nice Sunday Ride :)
Iron Maiden
The Better Half !!

Post by Iron Maiden »

Wish it was that easy Petite. Tomorrow is a holiday so auto parts stores are probably closed, and the gaskets are no good since we put on the gasket sealer and installed pump before noticing the belt was too loose. A member left me a PM with the belt part number needed. So by Monday we should have what we need to get the job done. We will ask V8Choppers to measure the holes on the old pump, just for curiosity.

Good news is we are invited to a nice Easter Dinner with friends tomorrow, so riding was not in our plans anyway.
Have a great holiday!

Puff

Post by Puff »

That NAPA belt you posted is 32" long.
I work part-time at my local AutoZone store,
and I worked from 8 til 4 today(Easter).
Hope all goes better this week ! 8-)
Bill Van Sant

V8Norm

Post by V8Norm »

So sorry you are having all these problems.
Today I thought I heard my water pump making noise. :anvil:

Have you heard of a recall or???? Sounds like your new one might be an upgrade?

:popcorn:
Norm