Fi for a 502 BB

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Fi for a 502 BB

Post by CanuckHoss »

I decided that I want to fuel inject my 502 trike...it is all apart down to the block to clean up oil leaks and we have found a lot of carbon...I mean a lot of carbon and we are thinking FI to just clean up the running...expensive but it is time.

Tell me what I should use and why...I will decide from there.

Thanks in advance
CanuckHoss

Barry Radu, President Destination Cycles

ImageAirdrie, Alberta Canada

"Just BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!! BE HAPPY!!"--Abraham
craig haymaker

Re: Fi for a 502 BB

Post by craig haymaker »

Here is what I would do Barry. Give Brian Macey at Arizona Boss Hoss / Horse Power Connections / The EFI Store in Lake Havasu a call. He does this for a living !
Store # (928)706-6112, Brian's cell # (360)280-6112.
If you are going to do this Barry, might as well do it right from the get to ! Craig H.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

craig haymaker wrote:Here is what I would do Barry. Give Brian Macey at Arizona Boss Hoss / Horse Power Connections / The EFI Store in Lake Havasu a call. He does this for a living !
Store # (928)706-6112, Brian's cell # (360)280-6112.
If you are going to do this Barry, might as well do it right from the get to ! Craig H.
Never even thought of that Craig..thank you for that suggestion...
CanuckHoss

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

I think Craig has the best idea, yet. He, Brian Macey, knows Boss Hoss and he does EFI for a living. Go for it.
Please keep us updated on the progress.

Paul H
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Waiting for a call back from Brian in Arizona.

To now I have more than one guy telling me about the system below..even Donnie, the fellow who bought Joe's motor from the wrecked SS, is putting that on that motor early in the New Year.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_sy ... s/550-510K
CanuckHoss

Jack

Post by Jack »

Any one of the plug and play EFI systems will work for you. Mine took 4 hours to install on my bike. MSD Atomic. I didn't have the room for a bigger throttlebody, so the MSD was the only one that could fit on my bike, but they are all good.
1998 Wild One Custom - Homebuilt
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Jack wrote:Any one of the plug and play EFI systems will work for you. Mine took 4 hours to install on my bike. MSD Atomic. I didn't have the room for a bigger throttlebody, so the MSD was the only one that could fit on my bike, but they are all good.
I believe you are correct...

I will most likely not find out if the one I eventually pick fits between the frame until I actually buy it and bring it to the shop and set on the intake..Bigblocks have less room than Smallblocks..fingers crossed that the one I pick fits perfectly.
CanuckHoss

502wingman

Post by 502wingman »

That is something I heard at the time the factory stopped making the BB. The EFI would not fit in between the frame and they would have had to design a new frame .....
Peter the WingMan
Backnang, Germany
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

502wingman wrote:That is something I heard at the time the factory stopped making the BB. The EFI would not fit in between the frame and they would have had to design a new frame .....
I heard that they were not sure how long BB would be around and they wanted a solid FI so they went with the LS...only what I heard and may not be true..

To me I personally saw one today that looks like it will easily fit between the frame...time will tell.
CanuckHoss

Paul H

Post by Paul H »

Barry, I'm sure you've heard the old saying about,
Measure twice and cut once. Which ever EFI you
go with, ask what size it is. Measurements should be
available BEFORE you buy it????

Paul H
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Paul H wrote:Barry, I'm sure you've heard the old saying about,
Measure twice and cut once. Which ever EFI you
go with, ask what size it is. Measurements should be
available BEFORE you buy it????

Paul H
They should be but the true test is set on top of intake I think...the shops here will return if not mounted with bolts or fuel through..
CanuckHoss

Jack

Post by Jack »

I don't even have room for a filter... so to say it's a tight fit for me is an understatement. A shop paper towel is about all I can fit between frame and TB.
If you can fit a standard carb, you'll fit most of the throttlebodies. I couldn't fit a 4bl carb and I have the lowest intake made, the Weiand Xcelerator.

The biggest choice for most will be what sort of dashboard, if any, is the right fit for them. Do you want a 7" tablet? Do you want to set it and forget it?

This video shows my "dashboard"... it unplugs in 2 seconds, and as you can see I just had it ziptied to the bike to monitor vitals. Only gauge I have is a speedo under the risers.

https://youtu.be/0FjiF-cdXI0

This was a couple days before the bike went down.

From when I installed it.
https://youtu.be/uW462OsykFY
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Jack wrote:I don't even have room for a filter... so to say it's a tight fit for me is an understatement. A shop paper towel is about all I can fit between frame and TB.
If you can fit a standard carb, you'll fit most of the throttlebodies. I couldn't fit a 4bl carb and I have the lowest intake made, the Weiand Xcelerator.

The biggest choice for most will be what sort of dashboard, if any, is the right fit for them. Do you want a 7" tablet? Do you want to set it and forget it?

This video shows my "dashboard"... it unplugs in 2 seconds, and as you can see I just had it ziptied to the bike to monitor vitals. Only gauge I have is a speedo under the risers.

https://youtu.be/0FjiF-cdXI0

This was a couple days before the bike went down.

From when I installed it.
https://youtu.be/uW462OsykFY
Thanks for the videos...
CanuckHoss

Ron Radulski

Post by Ron Radulski »

502wingman wrote:That is something I heard at the time the factory stopped making the BB. The EFI would not fit in between the frame and they would have had to design a new frame .....
To 502 Wingman & Barry: I heard differently. I heard BH could not get the EFI to run consistent enough to put into production on the BB (502) back in 2008 when the Government wanted cats installed in the exhaust on all motorcycles. That's when BH installed the first LS2 EFI in 2008. GM Performance NEVER stopped making the BB 502. Boss Hoss quit buying them from GM Performance. BH does not make the engine! Now Boss Hoss is back buying 502 big blocks with carburetors. Barry, I'm sure you will find a fuel injection system that will have the clearance you will need. Good luck!
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

This is a nice compact unit that my Tech Jason was looking into...fitment looks better between the frame than others but again I won't know until I actually set it in place...

https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... parts/2900
CanuckHoss

BossHossAZ

Post by BossHossAZ »

I went to call back and it was weekend so you were not around. Right now Boss Hoss California dropped off a 502 bike we are converting next week. I have some ideas right now we are throwing around. MSD isn't one of them lol. But I will have a better picture of what will work and fit well. I can tell you we are looking at the same ecu as the new bikes but the HP version right now. I will have a good kit available soon.

Brian
Brian and Heather Macy
BossHossAZ
928-706-6112 shop
http://www.horsepowerconnection.com
http://www.theefistore.com
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

BossHossAZ wrote:I went to call back and it was weekend so you were not around. Right now Boss Hoss California dropped off a 502 bike we are converting next week. I have some ideas right now we are throwing around. MSD isn't one of them lol. But I will have a better picture of what will work and fit well. I can tell you we are looking at the same ecu as the new bikes but the HP version right now. I will have a good kit available soon.

Brian
Brian...

I thought I left my cell on the voicemail but I guess not...no biggy.

How long are you guessing before you have one up and running?

I will call tomorrow if you are around just to get some ideas on things.

Appreciate the info...sounds promising....chat later

Thank you
CanuckHoss

Imzz4

Post by Imzz4 »

I liked the features on the Holley Terminator, but it will not fit unless you modify the rear fuel rail on the right side by cutting and welding. I got their approval before I modified it. Their tech support has been great.
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Imzz4 wrote:I liked the features on the Holley Terminator, but it will not fit unless you modify the rear fuel rail on the right side by cutting and welding. I got their approval before I modified it. Their tech support has been great.
I have seen that system...I am looking at the cheaper newer Sniper from Holley...if I go that route I hope I dont have any fitment issue

Thanks for the info
CanuckHoss

CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Had a good chat with Brian just now...I believe I will wait and see what he comes up with after the info he just gave me...can't ride for a few months anyways..

If anyone can put a system together for a 502 that works I have faith that he is the guy.

Stay tuned..no pun intended lol....
CanuckHoss

Orlando606VetteTrike

Post by Orlando606VetteTrike »

Barry being a 502 owner myself, I would appreciate you keeping us informed on what Brian comes up with. :-)
2008 606 Corvette Trike
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

orlando502 wrote:Barry being a 502 owner myself, I would appreciate you keeping us informed on what Brian comes up with. :-)
For sure...he is hoping he can make it work..I beleive he can...then he will sell the systems as all the seperate parts are available for him to get the kit together and then he lap top programs...

Fingers crossed..he is guessing within the next month or so...keep a good thought
CanuckHoss

Swiss V8

Post by Swiss V8 »

Glen from Danmark replaced the carb on his 502 with a injection system a few years back.
Hi did a lot of modifications to the body, so I don't know about the frame and the room he used for the EFI...
I'll try to dig out a pic of the bike.
Martin

BHRA President Europe
CanuckHoss
Site Sponsor

Post by CanuckHoss »

Swiss V8 wrote:Glen from Danmark replaced the carb on his 502 with a injection system a few years back.
Hi did a lot of modifications to the body, so I don't know about the frame and the room he used for the EFI...
I'll try to dig out a pic of the bike.
Thank you Martin ...I will also send him a message and see if he thought it was good...
CanuckHoss

Jack

Post by Jack »

CanuckHoss wrote:This is a nice compact unit that my Tech Jason was looking into...fitment looks better between the frame than others but again I won't know until I actually set it in place...

https://www.msdperformance.com/products ... parts/2900
That is the very same kit I bought and installed in my garage with basic tools. I had the muffler shop around the corner weld the o2 bung for a $20 tip.

Holley owns MSD now right? I don't know if they will be supporting a competing EFI solution when they have the Terminator. Given the choice, I was going to go Holley, but it wouldn't fit and it lacked some of the functionality I was after, including timing control and boost friendly. That may have changed, and it may support both of those things.