Distributor Cap and Rotor

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Distributor Cap and Rotor

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Just wondering how long do the distributor cap and rotor last on most Boss Hoss bikes and trikes? when i say how long they last what i mean is inside the distributor cap how long does it take for the inserts to get corroded? I am using the MSD red cap with brass inserts, and i have used the borg warner select also. not a lot of corrosion or oxidation but some. Can incorrect timing cause the inserts to oxidize faster. how often do ya'll change or clean or recommend to change or clean the caps? Any information provided is appreciated.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
zenbiker

Re: Distributor Cap and Rotor

Post by zenbiker »

If the oxidation gets bad you will feel the difference. I would look at the contacts at 20K and replace the cap and rotor if needed. You should also check the weight pivots for "ovalling"......Joe
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Good question Darryl. I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the input Joe.
2009 350/385 MBH bike
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

If i open it up and there is corrosion, i replace it. When i got my bike it had 2700 miles on it. i have now had my bike since may 07 and since i am always gone to work it seems like i just have put a little over 7000 miles on it myself 8-) and i have probably changed the cap 4 times. as i said i don't like any corrosion inside of the cap. i could probably clean the corrosion off, but. playing with timing, install vacuum advance carb work, and ignition work, i check it often. if it wasn't the brass inserts instead of the aluminum inserts i would change more often. :shock: if i new the answers to the other questions i posed it would help,,, but :roll:

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
zenbiker

Post by zenbiker »

If the contacts are only slightly oxidized, 2000 grit sandpaper works great! Use contact cleaner after. If they are burnt or pitted..the rotor and cap must be changed.
Darryl..I don't know if bad timing does anything to them but I can't see why it should. The spark jumps across in any case which is the cause of the oxidation :?
That's a lot of changes in 7K miles. I've gone 10K without even looking at my old cap and rotor!...Joe