2001 Boss Hoss Trike Rear Turn Signals Replaced

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
The Mindless Philosopher

2001 Boss Hoss Trike Rear Turn Signals Replaced

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

My Boss Hoss trike had Harley-Davidson style 43mm "short bullet" (I don't know the exact terminology) turn signals mounted beneath the '57 Chevy tilt body. Age and weather had taken their toll: the wires had rotted from inside the bullet housings (they were not weather sealed) and had broken off. One side (rear only) had stopped working, and the other side's wires flopped out when I went to inspect it.

I don't know what brand the old signals were, but eBay lists sets that look identical but with smoked lenses, part number SEMT224-013-CD+SM2 by "Secret E" (never heard of 'em; could be Chinese knockoffs?) I did NOT buy a set of these to replace my old ones ($45-ish bucks for four). J&P Cycles carries the same set, listed as item #3050099 for $119, so that ought to tell you something.

BUT...instead, I bought a set of Harley-Davidson "Deuce Torpedo Bullet Turn Signals LED FXSTD 01-Up" (word for word, as listed on eBay). I only needed a set of 2 since I'm still running incandescent signals up front. The new rear set cost' me $59.95 (no shipping fee) from Pinwall Cycle Parts. They arrived after 3 or 4 days. The signals appear to be legit (not cheap imitations), and they work fine. They have a 1 year warranty.

Unlike the old signals, the new ones flash only 6 times per cycle instead of 10. I like the shorter cycle a lot better since the '01 Boss Hoss' relay has no cancel feature.

I hope these things end up living a long time. They do look good and they are plenty bright.
V8Bikers
Site Admin

Re: 2001 Boss Hoss Trike Rear Turn Signals Replaced

Post by V8Bikers »

Thanks for the info, sounds like a nice upgrade.

DeLand, FL.

"This is just one of the many reasons I love V8Bikers; able to openly display T&A, curse, say what you will;
able to be a fucking man here. Thanks Bill" - Grand Canard
The Mindless Philosopher

Re: 2001 Boss Hoss Trike Rear Turn Signals Replaced

Post by The Mindless Philosopher »

V8Bikers wrote:Thanks for the info, sounds like a nice upgrade.
I have since discovered that Drag Specialties carries single and dual post LED replacements for old style incandescent lights 1156 and 1157.

A mixed load or no load flasher unit will have to be installed for the LED's to function properly as turn signals.