Cable Lube

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
okie

Cable Lube

Post by okie »

Don't know how anyone else lubes the throttle cable,but I use a regular cable luber that I use for the Harley cables.It doesn't work quite the same ,but if you stick it in up to the connector and block the top hole with your finger and hold the connector tight against the luber with your other fingers it works real good with about a ten second spray of chain lube.Just don't forget to put a rag under the cable on the carb end or you will have a little mess to clean up,like I did.
regis

Re: Cable Lube

Post by regis »

Okie,

I have a need to lube the throttle cable on my scooter as well, my question is if you were using the Harley Part to accomplish this task, were you lubing the cable on a Boss Hoss, Cannon, V-8 Chopper, or is it all pretty much the same as far as "a throttle cable is a throttle cable"......

Thanks

Regis
KISS

Post by KISS »

regis,my Kannon and Boss Hoss have similar throttle cables.I think both are Harley´s single cables.
AR

Post by AR »

regis wrote:Okie,

I have a need to lube the throttle cable on my scooter as well, my question is if you were using the Harley Part to accomplish this task, were you lubing the cable on a Boss Hoss, Cannon, V-8 Chopper, or is it all pretty much the same as far as "a throttle cable is a throttle cable"......

Thanks

Regis
Hey Regis,

call me neglectful but I too have a 2001 and have never 'lubed' the cable and often whack WOT with a 1/4 turn throttle and so far so good. I do however keep a spare cable that I bought recently from the Aussie dealer. It is a 'Barnett' brand product with 'Boss Hoss' printed on the barcode with Part number 7240100 labeled THROTTLE CABLE 43 1/8".

On a related topic our friend WIldman gave me some good advice and suggested that to ensure the throttle dont get stuck open to install a 2nd return spring on the carb linkage. In my usual fashion I have ignored him cause he's just too bossy with me but you got to admit its good advice. ;)
okie

Post by okie »

Harley uses a bottle affair with a needle on the end,you open up the throttle housing and drip the oil in around the cable,about ten squirts.I of course tend to go a little over board at times and use the cable luber that I found to work good but more work.You can do a search under cable luber to find one,I don't remember where I got this one from,but most bike parts people carry them.Most parts houses and some Harley shops carry the oil needle affair which I use also,it just doesn't totally saturate the cable like the luber deal does.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

A couple years ago I thought it might be a good idea to use heavy grease instead of oil to lube the cable. Not too good of an idea as I found out, cause the throttle plates closed in slow motion after that...hehehe...

I use Harley Oil since then, too. I think you can use whatever Oil you want, but don't use grease :-)

Olaf