Mountain Tank and fuel sender...

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
KrautV8

Mountain Tank and fuel sender...

Post by KrautV8 »

Bought a Mountain Boss Hoss stretched fuel tank which is not here yet. I wonder if it's possible to make the fuel level gauge working? If so, how and where to mount the sending unit? Is it a good idea to locate it under the left gas cap somehow?...hmmm....my doubt is that the fuel could leak if the bike is leaning on the kickstand...?.....hmmm....

Thanks for your input,
Olaf
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Re: Mountain Tank and fuel sender...

Post by SRF »

Olaf, I have a 2000 Harley Softail FXST. The left gas cap is a fuel gauge, it has a sticker on it that says do not twist, so I never have. I am not sure but suspect it screws in like a gascap and contains the sender. Maybe someone else knows more. I am not even sure how it gets wires to it must go through the tank somewhere. Unless it is mechanical I will have to check and see if it reads with the bike off I don't remember it doing so. Just thought it would an idea worth looking into, not sure what it would take to alter it to fit the depth of the tank or what would have to be done to the tank.

Shane
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Shane, that's what other Harley Guys told me, too. I will have to check with the local HD Shop if the sending unit works with the fuel level gauge.

Thanks,
Olaf
Puff

Post by Puff »

Olaf und Shane,

I have repaired and reinstalled my fuel tank sending unit!
Now it is time for an "Aussiefahrt" celebration! 8-)

Puff
Bill Van Sant

alex

Post by alex »

so - any word on the HD gas-cap type fuel gauge? i would love to convert my dysfunctional left-hand gas cap into a fuel gauge..

alex
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

alex wrote:so - any word on the HD gas-cap type fuel gauge? i would love to convert my dysfunctional left-hand gas cap into a fuel gauge..

alex
No news regarding this subject, yet. But as soon as I know more I'll post it here.

Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Just got a big parcel and temporary installed the tank with the help of two beers....:-)

Olaf
Attachments
CIMG0331_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
CIMG0326_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
CIMG0325_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
CIMG0324_Bildgröße ändern.JPG
Puff

Post by Puff »

Olaf,

Dein motorrad ist so.......(what is the German word for..."naked"?)...
he he :)

Bill
Bill Van Sant

hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , that is a kickass tank !! How much ??

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , that is a kickass tank !! How much ??

Jack
Jack, I haven't paid for it yet, but Andy said it's in the 2500 USD range...huuuh... :oops: ...not cheap, but it makes the look of the bike so different, so I thought it's worth the investment. I ever liked the Ram Air tanks from Mountain, and I like the look of stretched tanks, too. When I first saw one of these Mountain Ram Air stretched tanks last year at Andys shop I knew I had to have one for my Boss.

Olaf
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Puff wrote:Olaf,

Dein motorrad ist so.......(what is the German word for..."naked"?)...
he he :)

Bill
Hehehe...Puff, now that you say it, yes, it looks naked (nackt in German). But I did nothing else than taking the seat off :D

Bikes and women have to be naked...hahahaha.... :D

Loafster
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

KrautV8 wrote:

Jack
Jack, I haven't paid for it yet, but Andy said it's in the 2500 USD range...huuuh... :oops: ...not cheap, but it makes the look of the bike so different, so I thought it's worth the investment. I ever liked the Ram Air tanks from Mountain, and I like the look of stretched tanks, too. When I first saw one of these Mountain Ram Air stretched tanks last year at Andys shop I knew I had to have one for my Boss.

Olaf
Olaf , Expensive yes, but like you said it changes the whole look of the bike . I'd like to see it again after you get it painted . Where are you going to mount your gages ?

Jack
KISS

Post by KISS »

Olaf,it looks good allready! 8-) Have You done anything for the tank,or was it like that when you got it?
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:
KrautV8 wrote:

Jack

Olaf
Olaf , Expensive yes, but like you said it changes the whole look of the bike . I'd like to see it again after you get it painted . Where are you going to mount your gages ?

Jack
Jack, that's what I'm thinking about since days....where to mount the gauges. Hmm...I would like to keep the handlebar clean without gauges, and I would like to keep the tank clean without any gauges, too. I would love more than anything else to install no gauges at all...hahahah....

I think I will choose the smallest gauges available, as few as possible and as inconspicuous as possible.
I thought about a 2 1/16" tach/speedo combo from Dakota Digital and second 2 1/16" Dakota gauge for everything else (water temp, oil pressure, voltage)

Most likely I won't cut holes in the tank and integrate them in the tank like most people do, instead I do think about a "on Top" installation, just where the Muscle Cars from the 70's use to have their gauges (outside on the hood cowl). Not 100% sure yet, but two gauges, put in a torpedo bullet style gauge mount and cup and lacated on the Ram Air hood will be my choice, to have the look of the ole days.

These are the two gauges I have in my mind:

Mini Speedo/Tach:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd265.htm

Mini Multifunktional Gauge:
http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/ ... prd331.htm

What do you think and where would you install the gauges and what gauges would you use? I would like to hear your opinion, Jack.

Olaf
Last edited by KrautV8 on Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

KISS wrote:Olaf,it looks good allready! 8-) Have You done anything for the tank,or was it like that when you got it?
Kp, no, I have done nothing to the tank, it was like that when it came.

Olaf
KISS

Post by KISS »

Is the new tank wider or narrower than the orginal one? :?: I saved thousand of dollars because of my new gage in my Kannon when my waterpump went broken! (see All in one in tech board)
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Olaf , I agree it wouldn't look that good with a bunch of gages mounted on your handle bars . Maybe just the tack speedo combination in a cup mounted to the bars wouldn't look that bad but I think if it were mine I would install the other gages in the gas tank . The only other option would be idiot warning lights for your water , oil and volts and mount your actual gages under the seat somewhere so you can look at them when you need to .

Jack
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

KISS wrote:Is the new tank wider or narrower than the orginal one? :?: I saved thousand of dollars because of my new gage in my Kannon when my waterpump went broken! (see All in one in tech board)
I have just been in the garage to take a measurement....it's exactly the same width like the stock tank. I really like the idea of an all in one gauge, and really like yours a lot - I only wish it would be smaller. If it would be availlable I would buy an 1 1/2" all in one gauge...hahahaha...

The Dakota Digital gauges are the smallest I could find and meet all my demands...but they are damn expensive. Why the hell do I always fall in love with the most expensive stuff...in my next life I choose a cheap hobby like flowers, or knitting, or hiking in the mountains....but most likely then I have to have the best Kevlar shoes available for hiking and the situation is the same....hahahaha...

Olaf :D
Last edited by KrautV8 on Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

hogv8 wrote:Olaf , I agree it wouldn't look that good with a bunch of gages mounted on your handle bars . Maybe just the tack speedo combination in a cup mounted to the bars wouldn't look that bad but I think if it were mine I would install the other gages in the gas tank . The only other option would be idiot warning lights for your water , oil and volts and mount your actual gages under the seat somewhere so you can look at them when you need to .

Jack
Jack, the idiot lights is not too bad of an idea..:idea:....I will have to think about that option!

Thanks, Olaf
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

KrautV8 wrote:
hogv8 wrote:Olaf , I agree it wouldn't look that good with a bunch of gages mounted on your handle bars . Maybe just the tack speedo combination in a cup mounted to the bars wouldn't look that bad but I think if it were mine I would install the other gages in the gas tank . The only other option would be idiot warning lights for your water , oil and volts and mount your actual gages under the seat somewhere so you can look at them when you need to .

Jack
Jack, the idiot lights is not too bad of an idea..:idea:....I will have to think about that option!

Thanks, Olaf
The idiot lights won't tell you how much of a problem you are having but they would let you know that you do have a problem .

Jack
KISS

Post by KISS »

Olaf,check these pics.You cannot find smaller gage than this one.It´s smaller than your ...finger.It has all info in one package.Speed,km,rpm,oil temp,water temp,welcoming message and so on.
Olaf1.jpg
Olaf2.jpg
hogv8

Post by hogv8 »

Now that is cool .

Jack
KISS

Post by KISS »

Olaf and Jack,there they are!
http://www.motogadget.com/
But sorry,the small one has only speed,odo+trip and rpm. :oops:
KrautV8

Post by KrautV8 »

Kim, please don't beat me, I do like the size, but somehow I don't like the looks of the red display...kinda looks like the signs in the shop windows which usually say "Buy now and safe! Today 30% off!" ...hehehehe...anyways, good find and thanks for the pics. I think I will buy the Dakota stuff.

Thanks again,
Olaf