Over Rev? Questions,,,,

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Over Rev? Questions,,,,

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Well tonight i went a little far with the burnout and I may have over revved. It just so happens it was while i was beside and in front of one of the new Hemi 300's,, Unsure of the actual rev # but now it sounds like one cylinder is missing and there is a tapping on the left side when the motor is running. I let off around or near 120 mph,,,unsure of whether it is a lifter or if it got worse, hopefully not. sounds just a little deeper than a lifter tapping. When over revving what usually goes first, Lifters or pushrods, head gasket or does it go deeper than that say connecting rods or what? Or are all cases different? I will be looking into it further tomorrow checking fire, verifying plug wires on plugs correctly etc. Will Also perform a compression test. It is a stock 2005 502 other than after market ignition (MSD). Timing set on 36 degrees total. Any advice on best place to start or what to look for or past experience with this will be appreciated.

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
KISS

Re: Over Rev? Questions,,,,

Post by KISS »

Sorry to hear your problem.My wild quess of the possible failure: 35% lifter,30% rocker arm,25% push rod or 25% something else. :cry:
gaston 2005 502
Location: South Texas & Working Around the World, Across The Nation And Up Your Street

Post by gaston 2005 502 »

Well,,,, luck was with me as when i pulled the valve cover it was discovered that two of the rocker arm studs had backed off. No bent pushrods, rocker arms, pushrod guides or valves. All is back together now after i removed all rocker arm studs, cleaned the threads on the studs and the holes where they secure then blue locktited and reinstalled the studs as per torque spec and then set the rocker arm nuts. it started right up with no issues. i went ahead and checked the torque on my heads and to get to the bottom row of bolts on the heads i removed both the headers and while i was there i changed the spark plugs. After this i raised my front wheel to check for bearing drag and i noticed the bearings need replacing. i already have a set ready to install, so i went to a bud's who has a press and we removed the bearings only to find out the stock bearings that i bought a while back do not fit my Ego Tripp front wheel :shock: it was too late to get bearings from the bearing supply today so i hopefully will get them tomorrow.

Also as a note to other 502 owners, there were more than these two rocker arm studs loose, and i am glad i went through and cleaned, locktited and torqued as directed. I do have near 13,000 miles on the bike, 10,000 of mine and 2700 from the dealer

Darryl
Darryl Campbell
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

W1LDMAN wrote:Great news Darryl!! WM 8-)
Darryl, I'm surprised Wildman didn't tell you the problem
was over revving while stroking it. There is a rumor going
around that he was clocked at 187 strokes per minute
and that led to problems. :twisted:

....Johnston, Iowa