Back to basics

repairs, maintanence, electrical wizardry, mechanical epiphany, etc.
Forum Sponsored byHP Lubricants
Tom

Back to basics

Post by Tom »

Well.. After much trouble and disgust I have decided to junk my fuel injection.. I was having trouble with the ECM losing tach signal and shutting the engine down. After many phone calls to RETROTEK and getting the same ol story of WOW.. we never heard of that happening before.. and their lack of support in making things right I decided to go back to a carb. The guys at retrotek would only say "send it in and we`ll do a diagonstic scan on the computer but if it`s working when it gets here there is nothing we can do" BULLSHIT!! When it lost signal I could disconnect and reconnect the ECM and it would start and be fine until the next time. I checked all the pins and connectors and they were all good... Long story short.. if anyone was considering one of these systems I suggest you think again and look at their chicken shit "warranty" first. They have not heard the last from me.
Any way.. I figure as long as I am going to go back to bascis I might as well make the beast a little badder.. :twisted: Went with an 850 holley.. mechanical roller cam and lifters and matched valve train.. Did the 08 upgrade to the trans and gave it a good tune.. WOW!! The old scoot has a new lease on life... very strong with a 7000 RPM redline... Mileage sucks but what the hell... Gas prices are down and I am ready for Oklahoma!!
SRF
Tech Advisorator

Re: Back to basics

Post by SRF »

Looking forward to seeing you and your bike in Oklahoma. I might make a few practice runs to Oklahoma for some rides before May gets here.

Shane
V8 Perv
Super Perverator

Post by V8 Perv »

Tom, Sorry to hear about all the trouble with the fuel injection.
I was just thinking if a master mechanic like yourself can't get
that system to work it must be as real piece of shit.
I'm glad to hear you have the beast all tuned and
ready for Oklahoma. :twisted: See you in a couple months.

....Johnston, Iowa
TAS

Post by TAS »

Tom wrote:Well.. After much trouble and disgust I have decided to junk my fuel injection.. I was having trouble with the ECM losing tach signal and shutting the engine down. After many phone calls to RETROTEK and getting the same ol story of WOW.. we never heard of that happening before.. and their lack of support in making things right I decided to go back to a carb. The guys at retrotek would only say "send it in and we`ll do a diagonstic scan on the computer but if it`s working when it gets here there is nothing we can do" BULLSHIT!! When it lost signal I could disconnect and reconnect the ECM and it would start and be fine until the next time. I checked all the pins and connectors and they were all good... Long story short.. if anyone was considering one of these systems I suggest you think again and look at their chicken shit "warranty" first. They have not heard the last from me.
Any way.. I figure as long as I am going to go back to bascis I might as well make the beast a little badder.. :twisted: Went with an 850 holley.. mechanical roller cam and lifters and matched valve train.. Did the 08 upgrade to the trans and gave it a good tune.. WOW!! The old scoot has a new lease on life... very strong with a 7000 RPM redline... Mileage sucks but what the hell... Gas prices are down and I am ready for Oklahoma!!
Many thanks, I was seriously thinking about getting a system for my 502.

JOhn
Els

Post by Els »

Tom,

I've had a few conversations with Mike (Kelly) about FI because one (or a few) of the Vanquish bikes had it. Seemed Mike got pretty disgusted with all but one setup that was appropriate for a F1 car and hugely expensive. I happened to ride that bike and it was incredible, but as I recall, the FI system was VERY expensive. Mike had told me everything else he experimented with was crap. If you were to want to continue giving it a try, he'd be a good one to talk to.

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
Big John

Post by Big John »

Els wrote:Tom,

I've had a few conversations with Mike (Kelly) about FI because one (or a few) of the Vanquish bikes had it. Seemed Mike got pretty disgusted with all but one setup that was appropriate for a F1 car and hugely expensive. I happened to ride that bike and it was incredible, but as I recall, the FI system was VERY expensive. Mike had told me everything else he experimented with was crap. If you were to want to continue giving it a try, he'd be a good one to talk to.

Els
I'm working on a Double pump, dual feed 800, right now.
got tired of trying to sort it all out.
I do think that an Edelbrock 650 would work ok, but already own this carb, and I'm going to try it out.
John
AR

Post by AR »

sorry BJ mate, didnt quite catch it...what was that again about a double pumper?
Els

Post by Els »

Damn John,

You need to carb down that "Send" finger ..... :shock:

Seems that a consistent problem I've had over time was too much carb for the application. Amazing how some of those flat spots, lumpy spots, flooding, and other fuel related problems would disappear going from an 800+ cfm carb to a 600+ cfm carb.

Els
Image...Todd, North Carolina
Image Image Image
hosszz4

Post by hosszz4 »

Sorry to hear the Fuel Injection woes....was hoping you could find more mpg's!

makes the Big Block more unreachable for me now....

Unless I get adopted by one of you suggardadies, and I can afford the 502 as a grocery getter!

Put this in your will...

And my Big Block 502 bike goes to Aldo (Hosszz4) when the Reaper and his Hells angels come get me!
My 502 will be loved and cherished by Aldo! I'm 50 now...so no rush..I'll still want one of these in 20 years or so. I can wait!

Aldo
Voices in my head this week...Hendrix...Voodoo CHile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAXW30m ... re=related
40 years later..I still get goose bumps listening to this!!

Big John

Holley 800

Post by Big John »

[quote="Els"] John,

Seems that a consistent problem I've had over time was too much carb for the application. Amazing how some of those flat spots, lumpy spots, flooding, and other fuel related problems would disappear going from an 800+ cfm carb to a 600+ cfm carb.

Yes, I'm not fond of putting on an 800 Holley, Df, Dp, but I have one, and they cost $500 for a new one.
I've been working with Finman on his stroker to see if he can get his 750 to run right. It's a vacuum secondary job, Holley HP series, I think. There are so many models now, it's hard to choose.
I finally figured out that his power valve might be the problem.
Power valves are calculated, in value, by measuring vacuum, at idle and dividing by two, to give the correct number valve.
IE, if your vac is 12, use a 6, etc. Good to know. You can learn all about it on the online Holley site, very conveniently.
Anyway, when I can finally do work again, I'm well re-educated on the subject of Holley tuning.
John
Last edited by Big John on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Big John

Post by Big John »

Aussiefahrt wrote:sorry BJ mate, didnt quite catch it...what was that again about a double pumper?
Oh, just toying with trying out an 800 df, dp manual secondary Holley carb that I have. I don't really want to use it, but then again, it may work out, as I'm running 389", big heads and manifold, and a mildly hot roller cam. Not getting enough top end out of the Edelbrock AVS that's on there, now.
It won't respond to tuning, and craps out at around 5500rpms
How,s all with you?
John